Old July 5th 03, 12:43 PM
Gags

Default Some thoughts on Vistalight (vistalite?) batteries

"stu" wrote in message
l wonder if 1.8V is a typo on there part. l thought all ni-cd batteries

were
1.2V and that was it.
l just finished building lights for my bike, you know the ones, 2*20W

quartz
halogen down lights
plus a 12V SLA battery.
l used a 7.0 amp hour battery(it does weigh 2.5 kgs so it isn't for weight
weenies)

Good to see that someone else has decided to build their own lights.......I
still reckon they are the best value for money. I have recently finished my
fifth set of lights for which i machined up an aluminium housing for a 35mm
halogen globe (20W). I made up a NiMh battery pack in an old water bottle
using 10 x 4500mAh batteries which are 4/3 AA size (basically a bit longer
and bit fatter than standard AA batteries). These are in series which gives
me a 12V, 4.5Ah battery.

I am also currently repacking a Vistalight nightstick for a mate whos old
one was pretty well had it. I am using 5 x sub-C NiMh cells (as per the
original) but I have bought 2700 mAh ones from Jaycar (www.jaycar.com.au)
that cost around $9 each. This means my mate gets a new nighstick for
around $45 bucks that has around 25% higher capacity than the original!!!!!
It is a pretty simple process that only involves some basic soldering.

If you are interested in having a look at my lights, they are at
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~drgagnon/lights_5.htm

Cheers,

Gags