Old June 18th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.mountain-bike

Default "Mountain biking is no more damaging than other forms of recreation, including hiking."

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 13:24:10 GMT, jason
wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:

My qualifications are just as good as yours are.

Ah, I see that you hesitate to state your qualifications.... We know
what that means: they are BS. Come on, tell us what they are, oh
Shifty One.

In case you missed it mikey and I can see how you can, it was only in
plain English. I said mine were as good as yours are.

I am as qualified as you are to talk about the environment and any
damage caused to it by hikers, horses, atv, mtn bikes, etc.

We both can only give opinions and not any real science I have no degree

There you go: you have no qualifications whatsoever (at least that you
are willing to talk about)!

and yours is on some useless subject regarding how people taste foods
differently or some such nonsense. Certainly nothing that qualifies you
to talk on the environment.

I see. Since you don't have a Ph.D., you don't understand what you are
missing. A Ph.D. is a RESEARCH degree, and qualifies one to do
research OR CRITIQUE RESEARCH, which is exactly what I have done. It
also demonstrates that one can do LIBRARY RESEARCH and learn new
subjects (DOZENS of them, over the course of university instruction).
Only someone extremely dense (or extremely biased) judges one purely
on the basis of official credentials. Since there ARE no official
credentials in the science of mountain biking impacts, you have to
judge using other criteria, such as HONESTY (all mountain bikers
disqualify themselves based on this criterion), intelligence, and
results. Being asked to present papers at NUMEROUS INTERNATIONAL
SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCES (including the science of recreation impacts)
indicates that the people who matter and know best (scientists) judge
me as qualified to judge the impacts of mountain biking. You (and
other mountain bikers) will never even be in the audience, much less
be asked to give such a paper.

If I'm wrong please post where I can find more information on your
degree which qualifies you to talk about the environment, and no you
can't say your own website. I want a real URL with information on you
and your Phd, perhaps from whatever university you got it from.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande