Old September 10th 03, 02:00 PM
RG

Default Taking a recumbent trike tandem on the Trans-Pennine Trail?

"MSeries" wrote in message
Richard Corfiel wrote:
Well, we did it, or mostly did it. We cycled from Runcorn to Leeds in

2
days, and had an excellent time in the process.

I'd be really interested in hearing about the section in Langendale (I
think its called) from Crowden to Penistone parralleling the Woodhead
Pass road. Did you use this part ? Is it doable on a touring bike ?
Where did you break your journey ? Did you follow the TPT all the way
back to Leeds ? I am planning on riding sections of the TPT from Leeds
towards Barnsley then west towards Manc later this year/early next.

Not sure where Crowden is - but the bit you are thinking of is really from
Hadfield Station to Durnford Bridge(that's going west to east) - the first
part is an old railway line with a slow gradient - good/reasonable surface
and no problem on a tourer (assuming something like 700-32C tyres) - when
you get to the Tunnel (closed) there is a steep climb, some of which is
steps, that is semi-rideable (but I walked up!) - there are then a few rough
ups and downs over a short distance, again no real problem for a tourer.

You then reach a road section at what is the highest point on the TPT - the
road drops away deceptively steeply towards Durnford Bridge (it looks like a
gentle slope until you see people grinding up the other way on the granny) -
whatever, a great spin down touching 50 mph! Sadly for us (in May 2003)
the pub at Durnford Bridge which was our planned lunch stop was shut for
refurbishment - carried on along the trail for a bit and came to an old
station that sold tea and home-made cakes.

Bottom line - IMHO yes you can do that stretch on a tourer but be prepared
for some walking over the top.

A remarkably easy crossing of the Pennines. On a broader note, having done
the complete route from Southport to Hornsea it's all doable on a tourer (in
fact one of our group was riding his dad's ancient machine with 27inch
skinny (bald and perished!) tyres with just the one puncture)

RG