Old October 6th 18, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Ghost Shifting

On 2018-10-05 19:50, news18 wrote:
On Thu, 04 Oct 2018 13:59:27 -0700, Joerg wrote:

That is also what I think. Once I let the chain on my MTB accidentally
go to 1% stretch instead of the usual 0.8%. Put on a new chain. It
worked fine for 100mi or so and then started skipping on the smaller
cogs - cassette was shot. New cassette, problem solved. 55 bucks, ouch.

How much would three chains cost?

About $70 for the MTB and $40 for the road bike.

YMMV, but my solution for this has been to run three chains with each
cluster. Each chain takes a turn at each major clean-up/lube. So the set
of chains and cluster/cassette wears down together.

I do the same though on the MTB the cassette can be shot after two
chains. As for lubing, I clean and lube the MTB chain at least every
50mi, meaning pretty much after every ride. On the road bike latest
after 200mi, else it starts to gently squeal.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/