Old December 13th 03, 12:59 AM
Eastward Bound

Default Off road access to private land was Do bicycles and cars mix? (Sierra Club and Sprawl)

"Clark F. Morris, Jr." wrote in message ...
George Conklin wrote:
"Clark F. Morris, Jr." wrote in message

George Conklin wrote:

snip

The Sierra Club does not like people using backcountry areas. They
support animals, not human animals.

As one human living in the country, I don't want ATV's and motorcycles
fouling my water supply and eroding my land. These comments are based
on viewing the results of use on my land.

No one can use your land without your permission. So why did you give
permission?

Backwoods motorcycling is not

benign. Both motorcycles and ATV's can mess up agricultural land.
Hikers normally aren't that much of a problem.

Even hikers don't use your land unless you want them to.

If there is any large amount of land, unless you post it and probably
fence it people will trespass or otherwise use it without permission.
This is aggravated by laws in some provinces (such as Nova Scotia) and
states for access to streams and bodies of water to the general public
for fishing. The trespass problem is also aggravated by unwillingness
to enforce trespass laws in many jurisdictions. Fences don't always
work because some people will view them as impediments to be breached.
Just ask any railroad or highway department.

OK then, how about fences with tons of barb wire. The spiral razor
sharp type used in maximum security prisons. That will prevent
tresspassing. Also those signs with a picture of a shot gun stating
that tresspassers will be shot.