Old October 27th 09, 01:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Paul O

Default "Trips for Kids Named 2009 Non-Profit Organization of the Year"

Mike Vandeman wrote, On 10/26/2009 10:06 PM:
Big mistake! It just shows how politicians can fall for propaganda.
TFK only promotes and greenwashes mountain biking.

Mike

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=15827

Trips for Kids Named 2009 Non-Profit Organization of the Year
By the California Governor's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports
The California Governor's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports
selected Trips for Kids (TFK) as its 2009 Non-Profit Organization of
the Year from more than 700 nominees. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
and Anthem Blue Cross Foundation presented the award to TFK with a
gold medal on September 16, 2009 at the Fourth Annual Spotlight Awards
ceremony in Sacramento, Calif.

snip
About Trips for Kids - Trips for Kids ( is a nonprofit 501(c)3
organization based in Marin County, California. With 60-plus chapters
operating in the United States, Canada and Israel, Trips for Kids
opens the world of cycling to at-risk youth through mountain bike
rides and Earn-A-Bike programs. Trips for Kids started in 1988 as a
grass roots effort by avid mountain biker, environmentalist and
Mountain Bike Hall of Fame inductee Marilyn Price to provide inner-
city youth a way to enjoy the outdoors and gain much-needed life
skills.

snip

Mike, I see your point. Its too bad that these kids will grow up never
experiencing the joys of hiking through the wilderness, communing with
nature, and stringing piano wire across a mountain bike trail...

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)