Old August 1st 17, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Look pedals falling apart

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 10:01:10 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 31/07/2017 9:44 AM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 07:58:01 -0400, Duane
wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a ride in New York where I had to carry
the bike on my roof rack. I got it set up and went to clip in but my
right pedal was missing. Luckily, I found it on the ground. It came
apart where the pedal attaches to the spindle. Look Keo 2. I had never
seen this. Typically I think pedals tighten with use. Anyway, I put
some locktite on it and didn't think about it.

Yesterday during a ride it happened to the guy in front of me. Same
thing. Came loose at the spindle. His pedals were Keo Classics. I was
wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Seems like an odd failure.

Are you saying that the pedal "body", for want of a better word, came
off the pedal spindle but the spindle itself was still in the crank
arm? Or that the whole pedal, spindle and all, came off?

I've known both to happen, in fact losing the pedal body and being
left with only the spindle sticking out is not that uncommon on
department store bikes, the really low end ones. I saw some on sale
the other day, 26" Ladies Model, single speed, with rear carrier and
front basket... and a kick stand, for US$ 35.00. Take two and you get
a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Yeah, the spindle was still in the crank arm. These aren't department
store bikes. And Look KEO and KEO 2 are pretty high end pedals. I'm
not looking for comparisons to really low end bikes. I'm wondering if
anyone has seen this with this caliber pedal.

The first and last Look pedals I had was years ago now but looking at
the parts on the web it appears that the pedal body screws onto the
pedal axle, which is made in left and right hand threads to screw into
the crank arms.

Are the threads where the pedal body screws onto the pedal axle both L
& R threads also? But regardless your fix of a dose of loctite is
probably the best solution.

I did find a youtube showing how to grease the look pedals but it
didn't seem to make note of whether the pedal axle to body threads
were right or left hand threads although they did mention that one had
to be careful when assembling the pedal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnVBoFjD-Fk
--
Cheers,

John B.