Old August 2nd 17, 11:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Look pedals falling apart

James wrote:
On 01/08/17 22:01, Duane wrote:
On 01/08/2017 7:42 AM, John B. wrote:

I had wondered whether the right and left pedal bodies had right and
left threads where they screw onto the pedal axle. I know that the
axle has R & L threads where they screw into the crank arms but
couldn't find anything about the body and axle join.

They do.

I couldn't remember.

I wonder then whether they spin backwards in the air flow on a roof rack?

I guess that's what happened in my case. But this isn't the first bike or
even the first pedals on this bike that I've carried on my roof.

I found it odd that two bikes in such a short time had this happen when I
had never seen it before.

Anyway, loctite should take care of it.

We drove back from Korat, a city in central Thailand last Saturday and
when we stopped for lunch we parked next to a car with two bikes on
the top. I noticed that both bikes had the handle bars, the saddles,
and the pedals all wrapped with what looked like scrap cloth which was
tied on with twine.

Acid rain?

Maybe pedals do come off when exposed to the wind as someone suggested
:-)

I thought that was a possibility until it happened to the guy in front
of me Sunday. He doesn't have a roof rack and anyway we were 40k into
the ride.

Coincidence?

The only time I've transported my bike outside a car is on a tow bar
mounted bike rack. There's not much direct air flow there to get the
pedals spinning.

--
duane