Old August 15th 17, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Scope for a clear thinker in cycling: a lesson from the FDA

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 13:58:27 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

480,000 Americans die before their time every year from
smoking-related diseases -- and the stupidity of successive
governments and anti-smoking campaigners and grandstanding,
dim-witted legislators. Now comes Scott Gottlieb, who
demonstrates that he's a clear thinker who hasn't been
captured by the hysterics of control freak Left.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...garette-policy

Why doesn't cycling have a clear thinker like Scott Gottlieb
to cut through the bull**** and define the problem?

What problem? Or rather, which cycling problem? If it were one
single problem, solutions would be obvious and possibly easily
implemented. But, because there are many problems, many of which
overlap into other problem areas, no single messiah is going to make
everyone happy.

Incidentally, one bicycling problem is very similar to the smoking
problem. State and local governments derive about 0.5 to 2.0% of
their revenue from tobacco taxes. I'm not sure of the percentage of
gasoline and automobile sales taxes that the states collect, but it
must be substantial. Were cycling to displace automobile use and
gasoline consumption, the state and local budgets would suffer
severely. Same with untaxed vaping cigarettes displacing taxed
tobacco products. Never mind the merits of the arguments. Just
follow the money and you'll see why little was being done about
tobacco and little is being done for solving bicycling problems.

Read the article before you make a knee-jerk reflex.

Good article. I guess the lobbyists and vested interested haven't
gotten to Dr Gottlieb yet.

Stands to reason that first you should define the problem correctly

The fundamental problem and major impediment to bicycling is
competition from automotive interests at all levels especially
financial. Make bicycling an economical alternative to automobiles
and cycling will magically become very popular (and probably taxed).

Do I get a prize for defining the problem?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D