Old August 15th 17, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default nobody seen nuffin'

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 10:04:31 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/14/2017 12:05 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 22:16:32 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/13/2017 9:31 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 14:40:35 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3407350

A really impartial report :-)

The two people on the garbage truck say that they "didn't see the
bicycle". "But they must have, they must have",reports a bloke who
wasn't there, and who's only claim to any knowledge of the matter was
that he had eaten in the restaurant where the bicycle rider was
employed.

Assuming the cyclist had lights at night (and perhaps even if he didn't)
it's the JOB of a truck driver to see everyone using the road. "I didn't
see him" should not be treated as a valid excuse; it should be treated
as an admission of guilt.

If a truck driver is responsible to see what is going on doesn't that
apply equally to the bicycle rider? After all, they were both
operating "vehicles" on a public road.

A bike rider has a responsibility to be observant. But it's possible for
one road user to violate the laws in such a way that another very alert
road user can't avoid a crash. That's why there is normally some
investigation into who is at fault in traffic crashes.

The truck driver's "I didn't see him" statement shows he was at fault.

Did the bicycle have headlights?