Old August 24th 17, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Cyclometer and Cargo Bikes...

On 2017-08-24 09:40, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 5:21:32 PM UTC-6, Doug
Landau
wrote:
Oh man! I am a pretty hardcore MTB trail and gnarly
road rider

What makes you say that? Some examples, please, of
what makes your
riding 'gnarly'

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gnarly

That definition isn't correct. Among mountain bikers at
least out here
gnarly simply means what you describe below. A ride that
is totally
not smooth, shakes bike and rider and one has to have
reasonable
skills or will crash.

depends on where you are from there ...

if you're after a gnarly ride itsa different trip than
going over a
'gnarly' section wit the intent of traveling from A-B

for me at 70 n occasionally gnarly prior, gnarly means
constant
correction n balance maintaining forward speeds at
moderate speed
levels...with an index for injury in failure to
maintain as rock vs
grass berms ....trees....cliffs...Saturday night
vehicle traffic

That pretty much sums up my ride yesterday. Nothing
super spectacular
but fun. The only iffy part right now is that the BB is
on its last
legs so I have to be prepared to hoof it out of there in
case it
seizes up. That wouldn't be the end of the world either.

Why wouldn't you just replace the BB before it seizes up?

I'll have to first take it out to find out exactly what
size it is. Then put it back in until the new one gets
here (will replace with the hopefully better BB-ES51). The
MTB has to do two more trips, less than 100mi total and
it's not (yet) so bad that I'd be concerned. After that I
will remove the BB, look and order one.

I did the same with the road bike. There is was easier. On
the old adjustable kind you could rotate the cranks 180
degrees and get a (partial) 2nd life out of the BB. Now it
has a new UN-55.

I don't get it. If I need a part for my bike, I call the
LBS and ask him if it's in stock. If not, he'll order it and
I get it in 2 weeks or less. Granted, I don't live out
there where you do.

Even if you want to mail order it, why do you have to take
the BB out to find out which one it is? You can't just find
the model and get the replacement part list and order it
from that? I would guess that if you had the model of the
bike, Andrew Muzi could probably tell you which BB you needed.

Yes, but even simpler just look at the crank model number on
the inside of the crank arm, measure BB width (68 or 73mm
for an MTB). That's definitive without removing anything.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/