Old June 12th 20, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Your gearing is obsolete

On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 9:54:15 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2020 11:26 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 22:42:31 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/11/2020 6:53 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 18:06:54 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 6/11/2020 4:32 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 9:35:56 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 11:13:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 7:23:34 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/11/2020 11:53 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/com...nx-gx-x01-xx1/

For those who fondly recall 13~17 freewheels, there's a new 10~50 cassette!

50 teeth! Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when my 34 tooth biggest
cog was considered too small.

I'm getting a little out of date. I gotta catch up.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Ah, you give us a voucher to make fun of your dorky handlebar bag and all the other stuff you bolted to your bike one more time. Keep up the good work.

You are not a true utility cyclist. Be quiet. You probably wear a helmet, also known as a head-shackle.

-- Jay Beattie.

I'm certainly not a true utility cyclist. Hauling gallons of milk or crates of beer seems silly to me if you have a car on your driveway.

That's interesting. The U.S. currently has an enthusiastic industry and
publicity machine saying we should build Netherlands-style bike paths
everywhere.

Why? Because then people will stop driving their cars!

I seem to remember talk about an increase in cycling when the gasoline
price went sky high. Perhaps that is an easier solution than building
bicycle paths. Just raise the price of fuel :-)

We actually are seeing a surge in bicycling right now.

Errr... what is a surge? Or rather how large is a surge :-)

Well, there's this:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/n...ronavirus.html

This past week, I was asked to offer advice for the friend (call him #2)
of a friend (#1). #2 wants to buy bikes for his twin sons, age about 7.

Just to be sure, my wife and I drove to four bike shops. There are no
bikes for those kids. The area's largest shop normally has maybe 200
bikes on the display floor. They had maybe a dozen, with none due in for
months. The only kid's bike was one girl's bike, pink and flowery.

The salesman in that shop said to wait till next year. There will be
tons of used bikes for sale.

--
- Frank Krygowski

You DROVE to four bike shops. WTF? What happened to the utility cyclist? You could have ridden to those shops. I did a meager 17 mile lunch ride in the pouring rain and passed three shops. I could have picked off another by tacking on a few miles.

I was on my fashion Synapse -- deductions for discs and UDi2, fancy shoe covers, Showers Pass jacket, tights and jersey. Points for fenders. No Chihuahua carrier, bells, whistles, mirrors, kickstands, etc. I could have used windshield wipers on my glasses, though. Got throttled again and did not stop for a gallon of milk. Totally wasted ride. It was just fun. I should have done an errand. Next time I'll stop at the weed shop on the way home. It's still open and essential.

-- Jay Beattie.