View Single Post
Old June 15th 20, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Disk brakes

On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 4:34:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 11:01:35 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/15/2020 1:10 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
So if I go the disk brakes route thinking Lynskey. Option for mechanical or hydraulic, what is the better option? Are either of them really all that hard to keep working with properly? Seems if you have bleed hydraulic that would be a little more but nut rocket science.

Finally I really do fine with standard rim brakes but seems the future is only in disk. I can only see a downside to rim brakes in going down long mountains and heating. Rain would make them better too. Could all be completely overblown too?

"I do fine with rim brakes but I'm getting disc" is a very common meme
these days!

I've gone down mountains with rim brakes and heavy loads. I was aware of
the potential problem and was careful about it, but I never had that
problem. For people riding mountain bikes in mud or (like Jay) commuting
in six months of rain, discs make sense. For others, not so much, IMO.

I have only a tiny bit of experience working on discs, so I'm not
qualified to comment on hydro vs. cable, etc. My only advice is to buy
extra pads early (maybe on sale?) and carry one set when you ride.

I'd worry, perhaps needlessly, about someday being told "Oh, you need
pads for an Acme 1100-Z disc brake? Dude, that's SO unfashionable! They
stopped making pads for that one five years ago!"

--
- Frank Krygowski

Hé, Frank what took you so long? I'm a little disappointed.

Lou

This was all very helpful. Now the question is how much do replacement pads cost. Personally I can see no reason to go to disk but in the rain would be the first reason. I live in Illinois so we are flat as a pancake. Not sure the longest descent in the mountains I have done but not done a lot of riding in mountains. One time around Bozeman Mt and I did fine on a rental bike. I would like to travel and do some riding in mountains. The steepest grade of any length I have gone down is about 6% for a mile and feather the brakes but have no idea how much you have to descend until brakes get hot.

One other item is taking the wheel off and on any more tricky or harder to line up. Seem they don't use quick release levers? I would hope it is easy to set up because would not want brake rub.

Deacon Mark
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home