Old October 21st 16, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Gluele4ss tire patches

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 5:20:57 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 07:59:49 -0700, Joerg

On 2016-10-20 06:07, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
:

:As with any rubber patching system, the abrasive is intended
:to clean the surface, not to add surface area. Whether emery

That's not what the patching training I've been to taught me. (for
automotive and industrial tires, notbike) As I
recall, abraiding a tire to #2 texture doubles the surface area
avaliable for the glue to cross link with.

:A medical alcohol prep packet is a handy addition to a patch
:kit.

So is a cotton ball. Fluff it out, and drag it aroundthe inside of
the tire . It'll snag on the tiniest piece of wire sticking through.

:Many riders just bring along a spare tube and do their
:repairs later in a more conducive environment than by the
:side of the road, in the rain.

Certaainly my prefered method. I have a giant bottle of vulcanizing
fluid ...

Interesting. How do you keep that from drying up? That is always my
problem. Just a few months after helping another rider fix a flat my
vulcanizing tube contents gum up, especially during summer.

What I do is buy those small tubes of "glue", I don't remember the
cost but they are cheap and if I open one I just throw it away and
replace it with a sealed tube when I get home.

That prevents finding a tube that you've used before to be empty. It does nothing for the situation in which you find a tube that you haven't yet used to be empty.