Old February 27th 19, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Coaster Brake Failure

On 2019-02-25 07:29, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years
old?

They must have improved it.

In German there is the inofficial word "verschlimmbessern". It
sums up the action of "Here we have a working design but let's
optimize it anyhow" and then it all goes to pots. A very common
scenario in software design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_D8r-2hwk

Sometimes those things happen for reasons Tom mentioned. People
using library modules that others have written, assuming everything
in those we be just fine. And then things aren't.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer gear with the least amount
of electronics and software in there and, for example, will never
be caught with electronic shifters on a bicycle.

I am saying this as an engineer who designs electroncics.

I have Ultegra Di2 on my super rain bike Synapse. Works great except
that I broke the rear derailleur wire being careless cleaning the
bike in a wash stand. I soldered the broken wire and shrink-wrapped
it. I also bought a new wire, but the repair seems to be working
fine.

On the road bike it would probably work for me, not so much on the MTB.
There I shift the front all the time, hundreds of times per ride and the
rear as well, skipping across lots of gears on each shift. From what I
heard that really depletes the battery.

The problem with Di2 -- or maybe just 11sp -- is that chain wear
beyond .5% but below .75% really degrades shifting. Down-shifts hang
up.

My chains spend most of their life in that range. They quickly go to
0.6% or so. On the road bike they tend to stay there and it's the
rollers that wear out. So I have to swap the chain even though stretch
is still 0.6% but the rollers are shot.

... I threw on a new chain last night, and now it shifts great. I
didn't think I had that much mileage on the chain, but I guess I did.
I bought a couple $19 11sp 105 chains from Western Bikeworks for
back-ups.

I just stay with friction shifters on the road bike, Deore M591 on the
MTB and Altus on the beater bike. My motto for vehicles is "If it ain't
broken, don't try to fix it".

The great thing about Western is that if you buy $50, it's free
shipping, but if you pick up in store, its $5 off. I can ride to the
store on my way home from work and save $5, although not today
because it snowed, and I slacked-off and car-pooled with my son.

We don't have many of those in this area. Though I have to check
Sacramento because I ride into that city on my road bike more and more.
Mainly on account of the great brewpubs and because there is a great
bike path leading into the city.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/