Old October 20th 19, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Batech Soft Wheels

On 10/19/2019 4:07 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 2:43:46 PM UTC-4, Robert Cooper wrote:
Any experience with this type of “internal suspension” wheel?

https://batec-mobility.com/en/produc...heel-ow-wheels

No experience here. But I remember reading the biography of Major Taylor written
by Ritchie. After Taylor's retirement from racing, he tried several different
business ventures. One was marketing a somewhat similar sprung wheel for cars.
It went nowhere, and he died broke.

Extra weight, slack in pivoting joints, probably no reduction in unsprung weight,
etc. I'll be very surprised if it's an improvement.

But I tend to be skeptical of whiz-bang bike inventions.

- Frank Krygowski

Indeed. Tensioned spoke bicycle wheels are among the most
formidable strength/weight things humans make. I remember
when a Montgomery Young[1] front race wheel was tested by
some English industrial association to something like 1/2
tons static load[2] without deformation which garnered a lot
of cycle industry press fawning[3].

[1] A man legendary for many skills at Condor, London
[2] Your average putz can break any wheel with normal
impact, which is a different test.
[3] Outside of cyclists, no one cares about bicycles or
bicycle wheels.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/