Old November 3rd 04, 03:51 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Badger_South" wrote in message
On 2 Nov 2004 19:48:30 -0800, "
wrote:

The Badger asked:

Would you not want to be an expert bike handler on your own
before trying to tow a trailer with a child?

A trailer is much easier than a trail-cycle, IMO. The trailer has much
less impact on the bike's handling than a trail-cycle.

RFM

What is a trail-cycle? You mean a bike with a kid's seat attached to the
frame?

With the trailer, I thought I heard that there is a definite learning
curve, wrt learning not to dump it on sharp turns and soforth.

I'm just concerned that a person would be starting back on the bike and
immediately be going to a bike and trailer before learning basic bike
handling, that's all. Maybe I missed something in the thread and the

person
is already a seasoned cyclist. If so, apologies.

I rode my daughter on a trail-cycle to commute to school when she was
4/5 years old. I was a seasoned cyclist only if you count folk who
learned to ride around the block as a kid and then decided to ride
again for fun 20 something years later. I didn't start road biking, on
the back of a tandem until a few years later. I still don't have my
own road bike. (Though I should have one soon, I broke my arm
the Friday before I was to go out shopping with my roadie husband.
Cast comes off next week, whooo hooo.) I had no trouble balancing
a wiggly four year old. Those trail-a-bikes, or at least mine, that
attached to a rack, not the seat post, are pretty stable.

Cathy