Old April 13th 05, 03:28 AM

Marc wrote:
the shifters. not all sram derailleurs are compatible with

shimano
shifters (most aren't). the sram standard pulls a different amount

of
cable with each 'click'. sram also makes some trigger style

shifters.

so, be careful what you try to swap.

how long is the grip-shift grip? if it's the long style, comparable

to a
handlebar grip in length, then you can cut it down so that less of

your
hand is resting on the grip. if it's the short style, maybe you can

get
used to resting your hand on the grip instead of the shifter.

i don't know if the disc cables pull a different amount of cable or

not,
but it's something you really would want to know.

marc

Well, I did some more research. One, I kept thinking my derailleur is a
Shimano. But, the entire setup is all SRAM 4.0. So, that makes things a
little more difficult, unless I stay with SRAM. Maybe not a bad option?

Two, the entire Deore line is for 9 speed rears (ok, so I'm new to
this). The Alivio is one step below the Deore standard. Maybe only
because it is for 8 speed and not so much in quality? So, chances are
I'm going to need the derailleur as well. No biggie, unless I'm going
to need the cassette too. In which case, it seems I should have gotten
a different bike. It can be fun building them, but right now I just
want to ride the damn thing, not work on it all of the time.

Speaking of which, I could have gotten a Diamondback model with all of
the features I wanted including the Deore setup. I just didn't want to
spend the $439 even though it was on sale. I'm seeing now it would have
been worth it. But, would it have been a better purchase? It seemed
like a pretty nice bike.

Thanks,
Dave