Old August 18th 09, 10:54 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Cully J

Default Any one else get mistaken for a Hobo?

On Aug 18, 3:03*pm, KingOfTheApes wrote:
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
"I live in a strange little city where the only people that typicly
ride bikes (olther than $3000 carbon fiber jobbies) are hobos and
DWIs, especialy a twenty year old schwinn MTB with a milk-crate trunk-
basket. I'm starting to feel persecuted. Even the cops give me a long
look over. On the flip-side I was driving through Boston and Cambridge
yesterday. WOW! Peddlebike Meca! All KINDS of bikes, every where with
all kinds of riders. I was all like...wow......."

***

It's the same down here, particularly when you carry panniers ("bags"
to the lay people). Actually I'm so pro about it that I don't know if
I look like a VIP hobo or eccentric millionaire. I like to consider
myself an ECCENTRIC PENNYLESS, but some people fail to get the
distinction between that an hobo, or between that and a millionaire.

I have even made a t-shirt that announces that in bold letters, so
there's no confusion.

"I'm an ECCENTRIC PENNYLESS"

In a land where SUVs rule, it may seem counterintuitive or even stupid
to ride a bike... But a man gotta do, what a man gotta do.

*http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Pretty soon gas will be a lot more expensive that people will think
that those of us who have been riding bikes are, the opposite of
"hobos", totally wealthy folks...