Old March 15th 05, 06:01 PM
jj

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:56:29 -0800, "kramer" wrote:

Okay, the last time I bought a bike (Centurian 10-speed in 1982 @ 12 yrs
old) the choice was between the Centurian and either a Mongoose or
Diamondback BMX bike (or a CFX I believe). Anyway, I just took my 4 year
old son in to get his first bike (a simple Trek 16" Jet) and I was thinking
about getting myself a bike, but I am lost as to what to get. I am hoping
for some recommendations based on the following probable use
characteristics:

I live in Portland, OR and we do have hills....

I will be riding on the street/sidewalk/hard trail most likely 80-90% of the
time, but may venture a little more off-road once in a while.

If you use wider tires, 32mm, or even 26mm you can ride virtually
everything you like except mud and light loose gravel or sand.

I want something 'light'

Most MTB are not going to be light because of the shock absorbers. What do
you consider 'light'? 24lbs is the lightest you're going to get in your
price range.

I would like to stay under $500.

Go for a Trek 1000. $540, Tiagra components, carbon forks.

I think Disk brakes are cool, but do I need them????

You do not need disk brakes. They add weight.

I like to go fast, but comfort is also important....

What do you consider 'fast'? What are your comfort concerns?

I'm a larger rider and I ride a Trek 1000, and I've never not been
comfortable on that bike. I'm not sure I understand this over-concern for
'comfort'. Modern bikes are more than comfortable. If you start adding
suspensions, and fat knobby tires and big heavy saddles believe me your
'lungs' are not going to be comfortable. ;-)

If you are riding to get somewhere or for fitness, a 24lb road bike is
perfect. Don't fall for the idea of 'get a heavy bike it will make you
fitter', or conversely that a 'too light' bike will not let you train hard
enough. A heavy bike (40-45lbs) might make you struggle more, but soon
you'll be cussing at it because you can't get up the hill to town.

Now if you mean 'comfort' in terms of overall position on the bike, just
get your saddle set at the right height and raise your stem so that it's
within in a half-inch, or even level with the saddle (you may need to get a
longer stem - most LBS will swap one out for free if you buy your bike
there). It may take a few weeks to get 'comfortable' with the position, but
you have several hand positions and it's fairly easy to get comfortable.

jj

Thats what I have thought about so far, any help?

Thanks for your time.