Old March 15th 05, 07:23 PM
kramer

Thanks for the responses so far. I know $500 may not get much of a bike
in the eyes of an enthusiest, but it's no Huffy either I suppose I would
like to get a good, solid bike and if I really get into riding, I will know
exactly what I want before I drop considerably more cash. Another piece of
the puzzle is that I am primarily looking at 2 neighborhood bike shops (one
by my office and one by my house) and they carry mainly TREK, Gary Fisher,
K2, Harro, Fuji, Cannondale and Klein, but the best selection seems to be
either Trek or Harro, fwiw. Unless anyone has a specific dealer in
Portland, OR they would recommend. I would even consider used.

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" wrote in message
(kramer) Asked:
snip
I was thinking about getting myself a
bike, but I am lost as to what to get. I am
hoping for some recommendations
based on the following probable use
characteristics:

This question is best answered by one of our members who sell bikes, as
they are more knowledgeable about the various brands/models on the
market. But as a general recommendation I would say an entry level
touring bike or hybrid should fit the bill rather nicely.

I live in Portland, OR and we do have
hills....

Tourers and hybrids have triple cranks with wide ranges, which will give
you low lows without sacrificing the high end.

I will be riding on the
street/sidewalk/hard trail most likely
80-90% of the time, but may venture a
little more off-road once in a while.

Tourers are built tougher than "road" (racing) bikes, and with the
addition of wider (1-3/8") tires, can venture onto fire roads and smooth
trails, although you can't do the nastier stuff. Hybrids are tougher
still. A mountain bike may be more than you need, since most of the
riding you wish to do doesn't seem to need all the bells and whistles.

I want something 'light'

Hybrids are not as light as a touring machine, but they are lighter than
mountain bikes, at least within the same price range.

I would like to stay under $500.

Did I mention "entry level"?

I think Disk brakes are cool, but do I
need them????

No. Disks are good for muddy, wet conditions, as they stay out of the
muck due to their position near the hub, and for carrying heavy loads
(expedition touring (self contained) and tandems) as they provide more
stopping power without the danger of overheating the rims, possibly
causing the tires to blow out. But for regular, "dry", unladen biking,
they are not necessary.

I like to go fast, but comfort is also
important....

Speed is mostly in the strength of the rider, however, touring bikes
generally have less rolling resistance than hybrids, and hybrids less
than MTN bikes due to their narrower, higher pressure tires, and the
touring bike's drop bars offer more choices of handlebar positions, from
upright and comfy to down and streamlined . Both have geometry which
leans towards comfort, stability and smooth ride.

That's what I have thought about so far,
any help?

Thanks for your time.

Hope the other's can be more specific, leading you towards a definite
choice. As always, visit the LBS (Local Bike Shops) and check out what
is available. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it, would you?
Also, a good LBS will fit you to the bike, like a good tailor. and will
often offer free tune ups for a period. Usually 90 days.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner