Old October 29th 04, 09:46 AM
Pettifogger Jarnoyce

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Pat" wrote: (clip) Explain how having numerous cities not named
after English
cities proves any rule?
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe the original version was, "It is the exception that PROBES
the rule. IOW, an exception forces us to examine the rule more
closely. On a sense, "proves" can be seen to have that meaning also,
but it has been widely used with the opposite meaning. I have heard
it argued that, since there cannot be an exception unless there is a
rule, the exception gives the rule validity. I don't accept that.

The word "proves" in the well-known phrase or saying "exception which proves
the rules", has the meaning "tests". Manufacturers of motorcars, for
example, are known to test their vehicles on "proving grounds".

--

Pettifogger Jarnoyce B.Sc