Old January 6th 18, 09:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Joerg Antidote

On 2018-01-06 12:42, Radey Shouman wrote:
Sorry, Joerg, I needed a subject and "Ride Report" seemed too grandiose.

First ride of the new year: -5F and breezy, but at least the sun was
shining. Went to town, about four miles, for yoga practice, after
breaking out the ski bibs and the balaclava. I did wear my Adidas
sneakers, on Lou's recommendation, they worked ok but I'm almost
resolved to acquire a bicycle that can be comfortably ridden in big
rubber boots.

That is why even my road bike has big square MTB pedals. You can ride it
with army boots. I have done that in Europe when the weather turned
"Siberian".

Just swap out the pedals and you'll be fine. You can always go back to
SPD or whatever once the weather lets up.

Once downtown had an espresso, and a load of pizza. Saw a stylish young
woman wearing some kind of clogs without stockings or socks, and another
one with a cable knit *backless* sweater. Hmmm. The local UPS dude was
wearing shorts, as always, but he did have on serious socks and gloves.
The postman was wearing what looked like a USPS-issue snow suit, with
red, white, and blue racing stripes.

I am still riding around in a T-shirt and shorts. Of course, we don't
have -5F in California. It is mostly above 40F.

Riding back I took the lane more or less everywhere, as there was little
alternative, between big piles of snow, parked cars, and frozen slush on
verges. If anyone was annoyed they gave no sign, until I saw a large
black pickup with two young Cambodian guys in it behind me, the driver
tap, tap, tapping on the horn. WTF? I look over at them, and the
passenger says, hey, you dropped something, and he hands me the
balaclava, which, having proven a little too much, I had stuffed in my
coat pocket.

I had to look up what a balaclava is. Now I know. One of those camo
things for a "leaded withdrawal of a large sum" at the bank :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/