Old March 31st 18, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default MTB disc brake caused wild fire

On 2018-03-30 10:31,
On 2018-03-30 07:08, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 11:09:37 PM UTC-7,
On 2018-03-29 14:32, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/29/2018 4:19 PM,
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 9:47:20 PM UTC+2, Joerg
On 2018-03-29 12:25,
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 4:09:07 PM UTC+2,
On 2018-03-28 20:28, James wrote:
On 28/03/18 01:39, Joerg wrote:

Hydraulics also can suffer from sudden fade
and that's scary. Then they require bleeding
which, depending on the kind, is a messy
business. On mine particularly so because there
is no bleed kit for them. Cable disc brakes are
fine for pavement riding, just not for heavy
duty MTB riding.

With the use of a few hose clamps, a file that
is harder than tool steel, nails and rocks, I'm
sure you could build a front wheel for your MTB
using a motorcycle front hub, disc brake and
lever.

After upgrading to 8" rotors front and back I am
quite pleased with the brake performance of my MTB.
The bleeding is messy but only needs to be done
about once a year and takes 1/2h.

Once a year? Why?

Because after about a year the lever for the rear
brake starts feeling soft. Braking is still fine and
most other riders just leave it like that but I like
the pressure point nice and hard. Also, the slightest
amount of air in the line near the caliper can cause a
brake failure on a long downhill which here in the
hills is not cool.

Never bleed my brakes on my cross bike for 4 years now
and they feel like they did on day 1. Shimano must be
doing something right.

Says the guy riding in Nederlands where there are no
mountain lions. Of course they work for you.

There are also no hills and dirt and stuff, or having to
ride through rivers. My MTB brake calipers regularly reach a
state where you can't even seem them anymore.

The guys using Shimano out here need to bleed them as well,
except they can't use the DOT4 fluid from the garage
cabinet.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

As I said they are on my crossbike which see more mud and dirt
you can image. And lots of steep short up and downhills. In
total I spent 3 months in California during my trips. Never had
a day of rain, some drizzle/fog in San Francisco...

Where do you take your CX bike? Eastern Belgium? Or to the Alps?

Just in my backyard, most of the time just across the German border.
Once in a while I make a clip of our ride. You can download (it is
save) a clip of a typical sunday morning winter ride here

https://we.tl/6awaXeHLBp

That's not a lot of dirt, just wee mud puddles on a meandering forest
path. Also, it's totally flat so you won't experience what I did when I
rode an MTB with rim brakes: Muddy trail like yours but downhill.
Reached in, nothing, only horrid sandpaper sounds, sharp turn with cliff
approaching fast. I almost needed a bathroom after that. This simply
does not happen with disc brakes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Not unusual:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0KviHxMzDlHsok3H3

Right, and an attentive viewer will notice that the bike in your photo
link has disc brakes. Applying rim brakes under that condition will
cause a substantial delay until the brake force appears. In your video
it wouldn't matter because it's all flatlands and you won't encounter a
sharp turn with a cliff on the outside. Like this are 0:51min, 1:13min,
1:29min, 1:35min and so on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1USLVraV4mU

It's one of my regular routes. I would not want to ride that in the rain
with a rim brake bike, it would be no fun.

Mud will also eat rims. At least out here where there is lots of sand
mixed in such mud. When my old MTB had around 1000mi on it there were
already deep grooves in the rims. By that time I had made the decision
that this isn't going to work and bought a proper MTB with disc brakes
and all. I still have the old one but it is now my "commute mule" to
take along in the SUV on business trips. Most of those are to the
flatlands and there the bike is fine.