Old November 1st 04, 04:19 PM
MattB

JS wrote:
I'd like to convert my '02 Isis frame over to discs from v's. I ride
XC exclusively, mostly pretty tame trail riding with the occasional
fast downhill. I am 6'3 and weigh about 200-205 lbs. I'm scared to go
the Shimano route due to compatibility issues. What are some good
wheel and brake options and good online retailers for them? Cost is
definately a factor. I also don't want to go overboard on weight
since they will be primarily for XC.

TIA

In May I got a new wheel/brake set for my birthday that I'm pretty happy
with. I ride mostly XC style stuff as well, and didn't want anything really
heavy. The setup I got ended up weighing about the same as my old wheels and
XTR V's (new wheels were lighter, brakes were heavier, although the SLs
weigh about the same as XT V's).

I got the Magura Pro Disc Wheelset and Magura Marta SL hydraulic brakes. I'm
very happy with them, but this was not a cheap setup, even with the
promotion thay had going at the time.

Magura also sells some more reasoably priced wheelsets and brakes (the plian
old Marta brakes and their regular wheels - wich would probably hold up
better for your someone of your size).

So there's something to look into. For "factory built" wheels, they came in
great shape and the local wrenches said they didn't have to do any
tensioning or other adjustments (as is usually the case with factory wheels)
on them.

I also looked into Avid Mechanicals, and could have just as easily gone that
route for the brakes. I've always heard good things about them, but the
timing was just right for the tricked out Marta SLs. I also know some people
who are pretty happy with Shimano discs (LX, XT, XTR) so I wouldn't discount
those in your search either, since it sounds like you may need new wheels
anyway.

Good luck!

Matt