Old November 1st 04, 06:07 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-11-01, MattB penned:

[snip]

I also looked into Avid Mechanicals, and could have just as easily gone that
route for the brakes. I've always heard good things about them, but the
timing was just right for the tricked out Marta SLs. I also know some people
who are pretty happy with Shimano discs (LX, XT, XTR) so I wouldn't discount
those in your search either, since it sounds like you may need new wheels
anyway.

The bike I got this summer came with avid mechs, and they've treated me well.
I always take my wheel off between rides, so I did learn that they will rub if
you don't put them in just right. I've trained myself to spin the wheel and
listen for rub before I get on the trail. If I do hear something, I pull the
wheel out, rotate it a tiny bit, and put it back in, then check again. I
assume that this could be an issue with any brand, not just avids, but these
are the only ones I've ever tried.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain