Old October 8th 05, 08:32 PM
Dave Vandervies

Default Making left turn -- how far left is left?

In article ,
DrLith wrote:

[T intersection, coming in on the side with no straight-through]

Regardless, I think in just about any lane configuration I'd ideally
position myself toward the center, or center-right, of the right-most
left turn lane. Especially if there's just one lane, period, you don't
want a right-turning vehicle to pull up along side you or pass you on
the left,

Moving farther left will do more to discourage this. If the lane is wide
enough, there's no reason not to leave enough space on your right for
a car; you won't be crossing paths, and neither of you is moving fast
enough to need as much elbow room as you would if you weren't waiting
to enter the turn.

nor do you want a left-turning vehicle to pull up alongside
you or pass in the intersection on your right (preventing you from
fading back toward the right curb in the course of your turn).

Why are you doing that in the course of your turn anyways? Keep your
lane position during the turn, then once you've completed the turn move
back to your preferred riding position.
If there's a car to your right as you're turning, then either they'll
pull ahead of you and you can move in behind them, or they're going the
same speed as you (or even slower) and there's no reason to change your
relative position. If the lane isn't wide enough to share going through
the intersection, they shouldn't be pulling up beside you waiting to
enter it.

I've never had problems riding in the left tire track and moving farther
left if there's a car waiting behind me with a right-turn signal on.
(That doesn't actually happen much; usually right-turning drivers
recognize that I'm turning left based on my lane position and pull
through on my right without me having to do anything, and there's almost
always enough room in the lane for low-speed sharing.) This appears to
be what the OP was doing in a lane that wasn't wide enough for sharing;
from the driver's reaction we can conclude that she was an idiot.

dave

--
Dave Vandervies
Well, we started with a mailserver named after the author of "Institutes