Old October 2nd 04, 07:24 PM
Peter Cole

"Fx199" wrote in message
Subject: Suburban Living Less Healthy
From: "Peter Cole"

"Dick Durbin"
Don't get me wrong here, I am not questioning the findings of the
study, just the methodology.

It's easy to confirm these results. Just go to a suburban mall and look
around.

What's the point to all this?
Several people on this group admit they're fat and they cycle also.
Most of us probably look better than average and are healthy, but we can

only
be responsible for ourselves.

Nobody mentioned obesity, either on this thread or in the referenced
article. Suburban lifestyle makes for less incidental walking and cycling.
It is beginning to look more & more like it's the sedentary lifestyle
that's causing so much decline in health. This also contributes to obesity,
but inactivity is a killer. There are many among the heavyweight that are
quite healthy, there will always be a statistical spread, but they're
becoming ever more the exception. More people are heavy, but more
importantly, more people are sedentary. Working and shopping in the suburbs
is hard to do via walking or cycling because of the distances, the lack of
intermodal facilities, and the general lack of accommodation of anything
other than a car.

It's not just that people in the mall look fat, they look unhealthy, even
the skinny ones.