Old January 7th 18, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Anyone wear a helmet or elbow pads 4 black ice conditions?

On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 12:28:40 AM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if when it's known that there can be black ice on the roads if anyone here wears a helmet or other protection (such as elbow pads) that they'd not normally wear when the roads are clear. Do you?

Cheers

If there is a chance of black ice, or any ice or slick condition, I use carbide studded tires on my bike. With studded tires, ice is irrelevant. Studded tires have perfect grip on ice or anything else. I use normal helmet and lots of winter cycling clothes when using studded tires. So I have two, three thicknesses of clothes to protect my body if I were to fall. But with studded tires, you can't fall.