Old January 8th 18, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Anyone wear a helmet or elbow pads 4 black ice conditions?

On 1/7/2018 7:30 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

On 1/7/2018 1:28 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if when it's known that there can be black ice on the
roads if anyone here wears a helmet or other protection (such as
elbow pads) that they'd not normally wear when the roads are
clear. Do you?

Well, "it's known that there can be black ice" sounds to me like "It's
near or below freezing."

Surely you need two things for black ice: freezing temperatures and
liquid water. Hoarfrost isn't black, neither is snow. To get
transparent ice on a reasonably crowned road you need quite a bit of
liquid water, so I expect black ice when snow melting temperatures are
quickly followed by temperatures well below freezing.

At my advanced age, I don't ride as much as I used to when it's below
freezing. My riding is mostly confined to utility trips around our
village. But no, I don't add any head or body armor. I just ride
really slowly and carefully.

FWIW: As a teen, I had a very large paper route (2nd biggest in the
city). Delivering by bike with a big basket was much easier than
trudging with a shoulder bag, so unless snow cover exceeded an inch or
so, I rode the bike. As a result, I may have better snow-riding
reflexes than most people.

Or a salt slush base then colder temperatures and a little
added snow so it all freezes. Cars pack it shiny and hard.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/