Old July 1st 08, 12:09 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Default Street Machine - a Cautionary Tale

Peter Grange wrote:
Over the next couple of days I came to
realise that the rear hub is not a well-known make at all. It had
something like "Quatro TX" written on it, but was not Shimano as I had
assumed.

According to
http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkt...us_0899_d.html
they at least used at some point a Sachs hub. Which isn't exactly
obscure or lamentable, even if the company no longer exists taken over
by SRAM).

The shop was not able to source a freewheel. They were also
not able to source a new hub, something about 32 spokes not being
normal, all wheels of this type with disc brakes are 36 spokes m'sieu.

Well, that's just cack, as a quick Google will tell you. There is no
trouble getting a 559 wheel for discs with other than 36 spokes. I
found a Mavic disc specific rear wheel with /24/ spokes at the first
place I looked (wiggle.co.uk).

So beware any Street Machine owners out there, your expensive bike has
some cheap components in it.

The default rear shock is certainly nothing special, though on this
occasion I wondered if you were just had by uncooperative mechanics...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK