Old July 1st 08, 02:00 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Grange

Default Street Machine - a Cautionary Tale

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:16:53 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Peter Grange wrote:

Like I said I'm sure he was doing his best. My point is that if the
bike has components that can be identified it gets fixed quicker.

Fair enough, but if he thinks all 559 disc wheels have 36 spokes then
that shows you that his best isn't necessarily something that lets us
pour blame purely on HPVel...

Ah, sorry, just read my post again, I didn't mean to say "All". I did
say "not normal", and meant to say "Normally" rather than "All". I
guess he was being guided by what his suppliers were telling him,( I
know he phoned at least 3) and it may have reflected what they stock
to cover "Normal" situations. All this is being done in French of
course. My French is a lot better than the average Brit, having worked
in France before, but it's getting a bit rusty. It has at least now
been augmented by the words for Hub, Spoke, Rim, Freewheel and even
Inch which I never had much call for before.
We would never have got into the realms of 32 vs 36 bit hubs if the
guy had been able to say "what you need is a xxxx freewheel". An
example of how situations just get further complicated.

hub had no manufacturer's name on it. Had it been a Sachs or any other
manufacturer proud of its name I'm sure it would have.

Have you taken this up with HPVel yet, and if so what do they say? (and
if you haven't it's a valid point, so I'd suggest you do).

I have every intention of taking it up with them. I'll let you know
what the response is.

Pete