Old March 27th 04, 04:16 AM
Chalo

Default General Question: How difficult to take a modern commuter/touring bicycle and make it Single Speed?

(Lobo Tommy) wrote:

In general, I am thinking a lot of purchasing a Bianchi SASS for
riding in parks and bike trails in excess of 5 miles for fitness. I
am having second thoughts because I am uncertain whether or not I can
carry stuff on it like water, tire patch kit, pump, food, cell phone,
tools, etc...

A handlebar bag would do the trick.

So it got me thinking - how difficult would it be to take a Trek 520
or Breezer or any other touring bike and make it a single speed?

Breezer "Range" bikes and Trek touring bikes have vertical dropouts.
You'd be better off with horizontal dropouts, to avoid having to use a
chain tensioner. A Breezer Town bike would be a great starting point,
if you can get it as a frameset.

Another option would be to get something like a Surly Cross-Check
(which takes really fat tires and has all the customary braze-ons) and
roll your own. The chainstays are not as long as a true touring
bike's, but it has most of the other virtues of the breed.

Yet another option would be to visit your local used bike peddler and
buy an old, comfy road bike or MTB for a pittance, subtract the
multi-speed gear, and add as many updates as you like. When you start
with a decent bike for double-digit dollars, you can afford a lot of
personalized touches.

Chalo Colina