Old July 21st 11, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

Default Unlawful Detention

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 19:00:20 +0100, Nuxx Bar wrote:

Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights which
was on red. It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed red, for a
good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and activated the lights
and they mercifully went green at last.

I think that the best advice which has been given was for you to phone the
police and ask them for permission to cross the white-line. (If the traffic
lights were over a railway track - then obviously it would be the Transport
Police.)

Of course, if that permission was not forthcoming the police would have
"detained you" illegaly and you could certainly expect a substantial
compensation settlement out of court.

I think that Anchor Lee may be a practicing solicitor - and may be able to help
you.