Old February 1st 16, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Oops!

Today I was riding close to the curb on Park Avenue when I saw a
sunken manhole centered on the line I was following.

A glance in the mirror showed that the car behind me would overtake
precisely when I reached the manhole, and that the driver had already
committed to a path that would have given ample clearance if I were a
stationary object, but didn't leave me any room to dodge.

I managed to slow enough that when I reached the manhole, most of the
car was ahead of me and I could thread a safe path between the hole
and the car. I did not spare a glance to determine whether the
"manhole" was actually a drain.

I spent a lot of the rest of the trip muttering
"Always leave yourself room to dodge to the right.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/