Old December 3rd 18, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default A few months waxing chain

On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 9:14:18 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
Snipped

Meanwhile, I installed a new cassette about 1 year ago, and have used 3
chains so far, each one worn to about 0.25% over the past 8000km.

I haven't cleaned the cassette once, yet there is no build up of crud to
speak of. The spacers appear relatively clean, and there is just a
little wax lubricant around each sprocket where the chain runs.

I have cleaned the jockey wheels once or twice, and that is as easy as
holding a stiff brush against them while I turn them.

I don't understand this idea that using a wax based lubricant results in
hard to clean off crud. One of the key features of using wax is that it
is cleaner than regular wet lubes (oils).

--
JS

Not to mention that a wax lube job doesn't pick up all that nice really fine grit and turn your drivetrain into a very efficient grinding mechanism.

Cheers