Old December 7th 18, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default A few months waxing chain

On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 10:48:39 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 9:40:04 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 7:40:50 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/5/2018 6:17 PM, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 05 Dec 2018 13:55:44 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/5/2018 11:49 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/5/2018 12:16 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 7:26:52 PM UTC-8, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 5:37:55 PM UTC-5,
wrote:

Frank - how often do you clean your chain and re-wax?
How much off-road riding do you do?

I think I re-wax maybe every 500 miles or so. With my
method, there
is no separate "clean your chain" step. I just add
wax/oil mix
using a propane torch while the chain is on the bike. The
only
cleaning is backpedaling the chain through paper towels
once the
entire chain has gotten it's fresh wax.

These days I do only a little off-road riding. Until
recently I was
on the board of trustees of our local forest preserve. I
would ride
through the trails once in a while to see if there were
problems,
and I would cut through on my way to certain
destinations. There
are a few other gravel roads I would use on occasion, but
most of
my riding is paved.

BTW, I had two hospital stays this year, and associated
recovery.
It's been a terrible year for cycling. I don't think I've
done the
chains since February.

- Frank Krygowski

Well, from my experience I cannot understand how you don't
get wax build-up on the cogs and rings. This isn't some
build-up, inside of 500 miles I have to take the cassette
and rings off because you cannot clean them without
scraping and then a final wash with acetone. I don't buy
acetone to keep something highly volatile around the house
but because it's necessary.

It may be that final step, backpedaling the chain through a
handful of paper towels to polish off the excess. But even
the little bit that eventually appears on the chainrings is
easy for me to wipe off. Maybe it's softer because of the
small amount of oil I've mixed into the wax.

For several weeks I have been completely unable to ride
because of bronchitis. This is the worst I've ever had
with coughing all night.

sigh I've been fighting that for several years, and
dreading winter because of it. Fortunately, it skipped me
last winter. My fingers are crossed this year.

But I think it triggered other problems - that is,
antibiotics affecting my gut microbiome. C. Diff is no fun.
Email if you want details.

Sounds awful but at least you lived. Best wishes on a speedy
recovery.

The Great American Inscrutable Billing Machine ( a.k.a.
'health care') kills about 35,000* people every year with
hospital-acquired infection. Not infection, mind you, but
rather specifically hospital-acquired infection. Visit at
your peril; financial, biological, existential.

*I've seen estimates double that and higher but 35K is
commonly cited.

Simply quoting a number doesn't give an accurate view of the problem,
however, in terms of deaths due to health care per 100,000 of
population the U.S. leads the pack with 826/100,000 in 2013 while in
comparison Japan had 598/100,000. See
https://tinyurl.com/ybaq8vx5

From the same site the number of USians who have "have experienced
medical, medication, or lab errors or delays in past two years" is 22%
while an average of comparative countries is 16% with the U.K. having
only 8%.

In addition total health expenditures per capita, U.S. dollars, PPP
adjusted, 2016, is the highest in the world. An average of comparable
countries is approximately half of what costs are in the U.S. See:
https://tinyurl.com/yaavfq6p

There are other problems as well, of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs

--
- Frank Krygowski

He did a good job of describing the problems and didn't identify their sources. The destruction of this country is at the hands of the millennial generation to who the word, "no", has never been uttered. They actually believe that they are entitled to do anything they want to do and if anyone stands in their way it is because they are evil and not because the millennial is wrong.

Look at people like Slocum who judges value as the price of an object or Jay who lives in a town where people will **** in the doorway of a business while people walk by ignoring it. The entire downtown of Portland smells like **** and people there treat it as normal.

Wow, medication time. Have you even been to Portland?

And why are you so angry? With your massive earnings in the stock market and the Trump tax break, I would think you'd be living like a king, totally unconcerned about the incontinent heathens in Portland. With the new big China deal, you'll be buying those cheap Chinese wheels for $5-10. Korea . . . managed! Be happy. Don't worry!

-- Jay Beattie.

Yes, I've been to Portland and will not return. Watching businesses power washing human feces out of their doorways and the smell of the city couldn't be plainer. Or perhaps you forget I have family in Seattle? Just driving through Portland has a disgusting smell. The Portland city flag should have a picture of a man bending down with his pants down crapping on the F-ing main street.