Old December 7th 18, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default cycling along the kiddie path

On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 6:09:38 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/6/2018 6:27 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 7:50:41 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.cityofmadison.com/police/...t.cfm?id=23278

Segregated paths can be so quiet and serene. No pesky cars,
pedestrians, witnesses...

Your title is "kiddie path". But the police report is of a 19 year old girl/woman and a 20-24 year old perpetrator. I realize in a college town every student at Wisconsin U is a "kid". But I still think of teenage and less as being kids. Everyone older is an adult. So not a "kiddie path". I would give the perpetrator some style points for using a bow and arrow to accost the victim. Even your criminals are stylish up there in Madison.

It's a former railroad track, now with asphalt. Overmuch
vegetation, poor sight lines, crappy intersections and the
usual 'segregated facility' features.

'kiddie path' is indeed pejorative but 'public roadway' it
is not.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

We have several "rails to trails" paths around here and they are NOT very helpful. They have to cross main roads in quite a few places and they very often have lights with very long delays of over a minute which destroys any time saved from using these paths. Plus they have children and beginning riders that both ride very slowly and quite dangerously. So it is generally faster to use streets with bike lanes.