Old June 18th 18, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Helmet News

On 6/17/2018 8:58 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/17/2018 2:10 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, June 16, 2018 at 10:00:25 PM UTC-5, Frank
Krygowski wrote:

But nationwide data makes it fairly clear that
approved helmets aren't making much of a difference at
all, despite
hundreds of gullible "it saved my life!!!" stories.

- Frank Krygowski

I've been involved in a few bike accidents over the
decades. One without a helmet. Still have the scar on my
forehead 35+ years later to remind me of that day. Not a
day I really care to remember. Others I was wearing a
helmet. Nothing to remind me of those accidents except my
memory. Well I do have a scar under my eye from one
accident. Helmet was not a full face motorcycle helmet so
under my eye was exposed. Went to the emergency room to
get some stitches put in my face. My experience says its
better to be wearing a helmet when you wreck that not wear
a helmet.

I avoid wrecking.

I remember one mountain bike ride long ago with, oh, maybe 8
other guys. I had no helmet. All others but one (IIRC) did.

The ride was in a recreation area set aside for mountain
bikes, dirt motorcycles, four wheelers, etc. Sure enough, at
one point the crew decided to "get big air" by riding down
into a gully and up the other side, then launching into the
air.

I decided it was too dangerous. The helmeted guys felt
protected - until one crashed and broke his collarbone. The
ride ended as we walked him back to his car.

I believe in risk compensation.

Yes, there's that.

But, as recently mentioned here, any helmet may well
mitigate abrasions and such (aside from the 'thwarting
death' argument). Yet designs such as Skid Lid, wildly
popular, were out of business with some arbitrary standard,
despite the fact that they mitigate common types of injuries
as well as any.

I posit that if helmet nazis were less shrill, there may
well have been more helmets in more formats worn by more
people than we have now despite rigid scolding and attempts
at shaming, compulsion and insult along with backlash.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/