Old November 8th 04, 07:48 PM
rwwff

"Robert Haston" wrote in message link.net...
"rwwff" wrote in message
. ..
(Y bar) wrote in message
. com...

Highways are there first and foremost for military transport and
interstate commerce. The fact that they are great for personal
vehicles is a nice extra benefit.

The military doesn't use roads over here all that much, they use them over
in the places we invad - I mean liberate.

Trains are best for hauling 60 ton tanks to the docks. Planes are how we
haul our people.

I don't disagree in practice. But read the highway authorization
language. Defense mobility is a primary purpose. Roads are very
important when defending ourselves from an invasion. Not currently an
issue; but there is only one constant in the world, and that is
military top dogs change over time. And the problem with roads, is
that by the time you see an invasion threat looming, its way to late
to be building extensive road networks.