Old April 6th 05, 04:02 PM

Preston Crawford wrote:
On 2005-04-06, David L. Johnson

wrote:

It happens to us all, and I know very well that it is sometimes

hard to
let it go. I can list a half-dozen instances that _still_ gall me.

But
I will not even relate them, since that only makes it worse.

Same here and same on the it only makes it worse. I have a virtual
catalogue in my head. It's a shame.

:-) I think I've finally found a real benefit to my lousy memory!

Seriously, I can recall such incidents, but the recollections don't
evoke any negative emotions. It's more like "Oh yeah, that happened to
me at that intersection." Period.

Regarding avoiding confrontation sites: First, if there is a more
"peaceful" route that's otherwise equivalent, I see no problem with
using it. A large part of why I ride is aesthetic, and just as I
prefer prettier roads, quieter traffic, etc, I'd prefer more pleasant
drivers.

But in Preston's case, where the site can't be avoided? I wouldn't
worry much at all. One of my worst confrontations with a motorist was
on my usual route home from work. He was so mad he was feinting at
charging me on foot, trying to scare me. I was smirking and slowly
shaking my head in disbelief - and holding a can of Halt dog spray
behind my handlebar bag. Of course, he eventually just drove off.

I wondered when I'd run into him again, but I never did. Of course, by
then I had his license number and he knew it. (I'd read it aloud to
him.) I watched for him for a few weeks, but eventually forgot all
about that. You will too, if you don't dwell on the incident
excessively.

- Frank Krygowski