Old April 20th 10, 03:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
SMS

Default A Toyota makes you dumb; a bicycle makes you smart

On 19/04/10 7:42 PM, TibetanMonkey, the-Monkey-with-the-Bag-of-****

snip

I guess the less SUVing and the more biking the better, but few, very
few people are that lucky to have a choice. And those who are brave
enough to do it on the road --FOR PRACTICAL PURPOSES-- deserve a
medal.

It sounds like a COMMUNISM in reverse, where they force you drive
instead of ride.

There is some of that. My wife used to ride, but she often has to go out
in the field at short notice and there are no company cars to use so you
have to have your own vehicle. She could ride home and get the car on
those occasions, but it's not something she does. And of course her
staff is forced to drive because they could not bicycle to their field
sites with all their equipment.

I've been on the road to work and gotten a call about an off-site
meeting too far to bicycle to, and that required carrying equipment. I
turned around and rode home and got the car. But I think the instances
of being forced to drive are pretty rare, unless the job involves going
out in the field a lot.