Old November 3rd 19, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Will e-bikes expand cycling?

On Sunday, 3 November 2019 09:20:41 UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 5:10:12 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, November 3, 2019 at 12:37:44 AM UTC+1, pH wrote:
On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 11:38:01 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 5:55:17 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:

snip

I find the 250watt motor will give me a steady 13-14mph or so on the flat just for how it performs. The elation kit was throttle only, hot pedal assist.
(a lot of the European offerings also appear to be pedal assist only, no throttle. Some have throttles also, I think..

Anyway, lots of fun reading at "electricbike DOT com".

pH

A follow-up to my own post...
The electric assist bike now lives up in Napa to use when I'm visiting my Mom. I still ride "normal" bikes in general, my good old '80s Cannondale touring bike and a recumbent Easy Racer.

When I rode to Trader Joes today I saw only 1 assist bike, a mid drive. Lots of "normal" bikes today. I'll try to keep a count of what I see over a week and report later.

pH

When I would sit on the sidewalk on a nice day along a popular route about 7 out of 10 non road bikes or ATB bikes that pass are electric assisted.. It is an epidemic here in the Netherlands. So to the question 'does E-bikes expand cycling?' Definitely!

eBiking expands eBiking which resembles cycling but isn't. For many, it's just a way of beating traffic -- and all you have to do is move your legs around, simulate cylcing, and you can go 25-30mph in a bike lane -- up hill.. Half the eBikes I see around here are basically eMotorcycles and should be in traffic and not in bike lanes.

-- Jay Beattie.

Ditto 1000%!

Cheers