Old January 5th 17, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On 2017-01-04 06:26,
wrote:
On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 5:04:38 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
Gentlemen,

Is there something stronger than the usual rubber cement in
the patch kits? Ideally something that won't dry out so fast or
where multiple cheap small tubes are available.

The reason is that I sometimes have larger holes from side
wall blow-outs. Not inch-long gashes but one or two tenths of
an inch long. The tubes I use are super thick and, therefore,
expensive. $15-20 each and that's not something to be thrown
out lightly. Instead of the li'l REMA patches I need to use
thicker rubber from an older sacrified tube but this has to be
vulcanized/cemented really well.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Jeorg, considering the amount and extent of flats that you get
perhaps you should observe Tosspot's recommendations:

http://www.tyre-equipment.co.uk/acat...-PSF_Plus.html

:-)

I don't get many flats but if I do they are nasty tears on the
sides where tubes flex all the time. Caused by side wall failures
of tires.

So I need something that is super strong in the vulcanizing process
and where the tube or can contents won't dry out after just a few
months of storage. I always fix at home so cold storage and the
necessity to use pressure tools and such would be no problem.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Considering that you get sidewall failures you should probably only
use tires that have bead to bead belts and also high thread-count
cords. Doing so would give you a dramatic drop in the failures.

That was the reason for the tire thread a while ago. Retroguybilly
suggested CST Correre but they don't come in 25mm. I will try their
Conquistare tires which supposedly are 3-ply in the sidewalls.
Unfortunately only for the foldable versions.

The Gatorskin Hardshells are claimed to have improved side walls as well
but I am concerned that they also run too small like regular Gatorskins.
I am tired of having to wrestle them on. They do have good life span
though and I get 2500mi out of a rear tire. Most other riders with other
tires out here get 2000mi or less.

If
you're getting failures of Gatorskins that must be some sort of
terrain you commute on.

It's unavoidable out here. There is often the occasional "Pavement ends
in 200ft" or plain old singletrack that has to be conquered by road bike
to get to another town. Like at least once a week he

https://goo.gl/maps/fyCyQs3MC6x

This is also why my road bike is almost as dirty as my MTB. Which causes
another problem for the side walls. A week ago I stopped because of a
weird phhhsssrrt... phhhsssrrt noise. Turns out mud had caked in the
crown of the fork, dried up and was rubbing against the tire.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Because of my loss of memory it really irritates me to see a picture like that and know that I've ridden that route on a road bike and yet I can only recognize it if I do it again. It's like the Aptos ride we do. Not only did I recognize every inch of it but I had to be LED because I couldn't remember which turns to take.

We did a San Geronimo ride a month and a half ago and I remembered the restaurant we had lunch in and the route out even though I couldn't remember the route in.