Old January 10th 17, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 18:55:14 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 5:48:46 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/9/2017 7:44 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 22:17:31 +0000 (UTC), Theodore Heise
wrote:

On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 14:59:56 -0800 (PST),
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:

if you search on aluminum/steel frame/shells/cups install
or remove there should be an avalanche of umbrage.

if your system shows white material in joints then poss an
ionic binding occurred between steel and aluminum. Andy
Muzi is an expert on this.

Blaster does not dissolve the white material. Uneeda torch
and another pin tool.

expanding aluminum with torch or heat gun will remove the
cup.

Okay, I will try heating too.

You might want to know that as a general statement aluminum
bike frames are heat treated after welding and heating
aluminum to approximately 300 - 400 degrees C will anneal
it.

As an aside, probably because of the ability of aluminum to
rapidly transfer heat, my experience in heating cylindrical
objects to enlarge them has been spotty at best. If you heat
the cylinder in an oven so that the entire devise is an
equal temperature then it will enlarge to a rather
surprising amount. If you try the same thing with a torch it
doesn't work so well as, I suspect, while you are heating
one side the other side is merrily transferring heat to the
air or supporting structure so what you end up with isn't a
circle but an oval.

No argument with any of that, good advise.

Good to knowm thanks.

Moderate (120~150F) heat from a heat gun seems to help
penetrants. Lighting the work on fire may have entertainment
value, but probably won't help with the actual mission.

I am presently visualizing poor Ted stand back as his expensive
Rodriguez goes up in flames.

Yes, another "yikes!" on this. Getting beyond my skill/comfort
level...

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA