Old January 11th 17, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee

Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

considered Tue, 10 Jan 2017 12:28:12 -0800 (PST)
the perfect time to write:

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 12:23:50 PM UTC-8, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 11:43:16 AM UTC-8, Benderthe.evilrobot
wrote:
"Doug Landau" wrote in message
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 9:55:19 AM UTC-8, David Scheidt wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

:I want to know why it works at least twice as good as the others on
:the list.

My experience is that it doesn't. That's just one of the reasons no
one puts it in a can and sells it commercially. I read the original
article, a long time ago, and as I recall the testing method was about
as scientfic as drawing lots.

Commercial penetrating oils are far superior.

Coca-cola?

Apparently it contains phosphoric acid - which is also an ingredient of
some
rust treatments.

The rust is chemically converted into iron phosphate - the end result
bears
some resemblance to the metal equivalent of polystyrene cement.

Where did you get the idea that Coca Cola contains any sort of phosphate?
Other than phosphate salts, most phosphate compounds are poisonous.

From the ingredients label.

Citric Acid
Caffeine
Sugar
Water
Vanilla
Caramel

Which one of those is "phosphate"?

Phosphoric Acid, which you somehow left out.
It appears on the label of (at least) Classic Coke, Cherry Coke, and
Vanilla Coke, which are all the varieties I have in reach at the
moment. I rather doubt that it would be absent from the rest of the
range.

As regards your "most phosphate compounds are poisonous" - so are many
things if taken in quantity, but almost all poisons have a safe dose,
below which they may be consumed (never mind used in a process like
the one proposed here).
Alcohol is a classic example of this, along with most other drugs
(legal or otherwise). To know if it is poisonous in the application
proposed, you would need to know the safe dosage levels.
I'm on several prescribed drugs which are potentially lethal, but as
long as I don't overdose, they do more good than harm.

Phosphorus is in fact a vital component of the human body, and
therefore, diet - you cannot generate any energy in any cell of your
body without adenosine triphosphate (ATP), and phosphorus (mostly in
the form of phosphates) makes up 1% of the human body (or 2% if you
ignore the water content) - the 6th most abundant element. As a
component of both DNA and RNA, it is actually essential for all known
life, and the average human body contains about a pound and a half of
it!