Old January 16th 17, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Stronger rubber cement?

On 2017-01-04 22:55, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 11:59:28 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

Try these:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Thorn.../dp/B000BMT2TM

I never looked back. Reviews are mixed and sometimes they do have poor
valve attachment. Also, some are thick only towards the running surface
and that is less protecting than thick all around.

Thanks. I should probably get something like that instead of the
cheap tubes that I've been buying. Note that the cheap tubes seem to
leak without any riding. I've built wheels, applied pressure, and
watched the pressure drop slowly over a period of several days. The
leaks are small, difficult to find, tricky to plug without a patch,
and very irritating.

Yup. Standard bicycle tubes are usually junk. Would you accept it if you
had to pump up the tires of your car every two weeks? Yet most cyclists
think this is "normal".

Incidentally, I use mostly Presta valves:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Thorn-Resistant-Presta-Valve/dp/B000AO9ZX4/

They come in both. Often also long or short stem.

So ask before buying in order to be able to return if not as promised.
As Forest Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know
what you gonna get".

I rarely return anything unless its dead on arrival or they shipped me
the wrong stuff.

If something was clearly overpromised I generally return it. It is the
only way for manufacturers to learn to be honest.

... I'll probably just buy one set tubes and see what
happens. $14/ea for 27x1.25. Grumble...

It is so worth it. I can just walk into our garage, pick the most
suitable bike for the ride, hop on, and ride. No pumping up the tires
first. While riding I can be assured that the spare tube and patch kits
will most likely only be needed for other riders.

The thicker a tube the better it usually is.

If it means that I don't have to pump up the tires every time I go for
a ride, I'll pay the price.

Do it. You won't look back. However, you bike will now weigh around two
pounds more and the wheels will have a much higher rotating mass. Your
average speed might also drop by an mph. A small price to pay for the
huge increase in likelihood to arrive on time instead of sitting on the
side of the road in 40F weather fixing a flat.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/