Old December 8th 05, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default bottom bracket advice

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 01:36:38 -0000, michael adams wrote:

"Ben Fitzgerald" wrote in message
in...
Hi,

My bottom bracket is knackared. The axle on the side of the front
sprocket (left side) seems to have shortened

Bottom bracket axles can't shorten. What's hapened presumably is that
the bottom bracket cartridge has rotated on the threads inside the
shell and moved across.

If the above is total nonsense, then presumably it will be corrected
in short order.

If it's correct then nothing necessarily needs replacement. Only
adjustment. Unless the contact with the derailler wire has caused
serious damage to the chainring.( front sprocket) Which can be
replaced on its own in any case.

Just remove the cranks, and loosen the lockring on the bottom bracket
cartridge and then thread it through so the correct amount of axle is
showing on the chainring side - just try a loose fit to check maybe
and then tighten the lockring.

I suspect you may be right. The right hand peddle crank does sit well
clear of the frame now, which may well be because the axle has migrated
to the right. I will try this and let you know.

Thanks!

Ben.

--
Registered Linux user number 339435