Old March 11th 05, 05:10 PM
jj

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:04:05 GMT, Bob Terrwilliger
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:53:43 -0500, "Arthur Harris"
wrote:

Ti won't rust and an unpainted Ti bike won't scratch. Other than that, what
will a Ti bike do that your current bike won't? Not much. For a lot less
money, you could upgrade the drivetrain on your current bike and have the
best of both worlds. I happen to like the geometry, clearance, and look of
the '80s bikes much better than current models.

Art Harris

Well. I guess I didnt give enough detail. My current bike is a trek
1000 aluminum. It is a 56cm. I am 6'2" and 205 lbs. I guess at the
time I got it, I liked it. I dont know if I grew ( I do know my belly
has) but the bike just doesnt seem to fit. It seems small. And it
beats me to death. I want something that will fit. and something that
will help smooth out the rodes just a tad. And something that will
last me another 15-20 years.

Your bike is seriously undersized. I'm 5'9" and 30-31" inseam and the Trek
1000 56cm is just about perfect for my size, though I probably could ride
the next size up (58?).

Uh, I don't know about it 'beating you to death'. Mine gives a pretty
smooth ride, using 26mm tires, though my model has a carbon fork.

OTOH, if you have as much as $2300 bucks to spend, then I'd suggest getting
a bike in the 15-17lb range. Some people report they can ride routes they
found the hills too tough with a good carbon. If I were you, I'd test ride
both Ti and Carbon framed bikes in your price range and see which feels
best. I'm not sure how long a Carbon frame is supposed to last.

jj