Old July 1st 08, 12:28 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Grange

Default Street Machine - a Cautionary Tale

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 12:09:17 +0100, Peter Clinch
wrote:

According to
http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkt...us_0899_d.html
they at least used at some point a Sachs hub. Which isn't exactly
obscure or lamentable, even if the company no longer exists taken over
by SRAM).

I had my son google for what was written on the hub (or at least the
best I could remember, as the hub was in the mechanic's shop) and he
came up with nothing. Having google to hand is not something I had at
my disposition at the time.

The shop was not able to source a freewheel. They were also
not able to source a new hub, something about 32 spokes not being
normal, all wheels of this type with disc brakes are 36 spokes m'sieu.

Well, that's just cack, as a quick Google will tell you. There is no
trouble getting a 559 wheel for discs with other than 36 spokes. I
found a Mavic disc specific rear wheel with /24/ spokes at the first
place I looked (wiggle.co.uk).

In such circs, one is at the mercy of the locals. All this guy had
outside his shop was lawnmowers. I'm sure he was trying his best, I'll
try to break down outside a larger town with cyber cafes and stuff
next time :-)

So beware any Street Machine owners out there, your expensive bike has
some cheap components in it.

The default rear shock is certainly nothing special, though on this
occasion I wondered if you were just had by uncooperative mechanics...

Like I said I'm sure he was doing his best. My point is that if the
bike has components that can be identified it gets fixed quicker. The
hub had no manufacturer's name on it. Had it been a Sachs or any other
manufacturer proud of its name I'm sure it would have.

Pete.